BRUNSWICK — A 51-year-old woman who allegedly fired a gun from her Mere Point Road home was arrested early Sunday morning after tactical teams from the Brunswick police and Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office negotiated with her for several hours before using tear gas to draw her out.

Tammie Keslake of Brunswick emerged from her home at 12:36 a.m. Sunday and was taken to Mid Coast Hospital for evaluation and medical clearance, according to Deputy Chief Marc Hagan of the Brunswick Police Department.

Just after 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Brunswick’s special response team arrived at the home, near the tip of the Mere Point peninsula, to relieve patrol officers who had been on duty for several hours, Hagan said at the scene.

Police received a report shortly before 8 a.m. Saturday that Keslake had fired a weapon, and at about 9 a.m., Keslake, whom Hagan said police are familiar with from previous calls, called 911 several times.

When police arrived at the house and attempted to speak to Keslake, she allegedly told officers to leave the property. Hagan said that as officers left, they saw what looked like bullet holes in windows.

Police were unable to make contact with Keslake throughout the day Saturday.


At 4:48 p.m., neighbors again called to report what sounded like several shots being fired inside the home, Hagan said, and the special response teams were called.

“We are working as diligently as possible not to go in, but she’s not answering our calls or calls from Sweetser (a mental health program that offers crisis intervention services),” Hagan said at the scene. “We’re in a lose-lose situation here. We don’t want to provoke a situation with a person with mental health issues. However, due to the fact that she’s fired a weapon, we have to act.”

Just before 9:30 p.m., police closed Mere Point Road at Birch Island Road and Windemere Road.

Through the use of the Cumberland County Emergency Services Unit’s armored vehicle and a “throw phone” that was delivered into the home by tactical team members, negotiators were able to safely communicate with Keslake, according to a Brunswick Police Department press release. However, communications continued to be sporadic throughout the evening, police said.

For about an hour, a negotiator could be heard speaking into a bullhorn asking that Keslake answer the phone.

At 12:32 a.m., when negotiations again broke down, members of the tactical teams threw gas canisters into the windows of the home, according to the press release.

Keslake emerged at 12:36 a.m. and was arrested shortly afterward, Hagan said. Pending charges include reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon and creating a police standoff.

No injuries were reported.

A Remington shotgun and ammunition were recovered from the home, according to the press release.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: