WILTON — Firefighters were called to Barclaycard on Weld Road early Monday morning when an electrical panel caught fire.

The main circuit breaker failed as contractors attempted to move the system from generator power back to Central Maine Power supply, Kyle Ellis, assistant chief of Wilton Fire Department, said.

The work was part of an upgrade at the former G.H. Bass shoe facility.

The electrical panel was smouldering when firefighters arrived about 4 a.m. They monitored the panel to determine the fire was out by using a temperature-sensitive thermal imaging camera, he said.

Commercial heavy-duty wiring and the panel were damaged, he said. Ellis estimated the loss at several thousand dollars. There was no other damage, he said.

Contractors were testing the system overnight. Barclaycard, the credit card business of Barclays in the U.S., was closed Sunday evening so contractors could do the work, he said.

Employees returned to work Monday. The building has a large generator for power, he said.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.