RANGELEY — Two brothers from Connecticut were rescued Tuesday from Rangeley Lake after one of their kayaks capsized.

The two were in the 55-degree water for about an hour, Fire Rescue Chief Tim Pellerin said.

The younger, Mark Lovesoy, 17, was taken by a NorthStar EMS ambulance to be treated for near hypothermia at Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington, authorities said.

Once his kayak capsized, Lovesoy hung on to that of his 23-year-old brother, Joel Lovesoy, state Game Warden Patrick Egan said Wednesday. The brothers are from Stafford, Conn.

The older brother’s kayak was filled with water but he was still in it, Pellerin said.

Both wore lifejackets.


The two had paddled out toward Doctor’s Island and tried to paddle to shore but the wind, choppy water and rain prevented them from getting there, Pellerin said.

They called their mother, who was at a cabin at Lyons Lakeside Cabins, and she called 911 and reached Franklin County Regional Communications Center, Egan said. Rescuers were on the scene within seven minutes, he said.

The incident was reported at 9:22 a.m.

A pontoon boat from Lakeside Convenience & Marina with a crew from the marina, the Fire Rescue Department and NorthStar set out to get the brothers out of the water. A second boat from Oquossoc Marine along with crew from there and firefighters also headed out to the Lovesoys, Pellerin said.

The pontoon boat reached the brothers first and rescuers were able to get them into the boat.

Egan said he had the older brother sit in his truck to warm up while the ambulance crew took care of his younger brother. The two rode to the hospital in the ambulance together.


Mark Lovesoy did not remember anything of the ordeal past the first 15-20 minutes of being in the water, he said. 

The two were treated and released from the hospital, he said. 

Pellerin credited Franklin County dispatchers for doing a great job at communicating and getting rescuers to the right place. It was difficult to see on the lake because of the weather and at one point, the rescue boat had passed the kayakers.

It was great teamwork by all involved from the dispatchers, marina representatives, firefighters, NorthStar and the local community, Pellerin said.

It was the fourth water rescue performed in recent weeks involving watercrafts turning over in the lakes, he said. The rescues all went well. 

People need to realize that conditions on the lake can change suddenly, Pellerin said.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.