AUBURN — A Lewiston man who was shot several times by police in Kennedy Park in October 2014 has pleaded guilty to three felony charges from that incident.

Albert Crowley, 21, of 1 Knox St. pleaded guilty Thursday to criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon and domestic violence assault. Crowley had previously pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Crowley was fired at by police several times after he failed to follow their commands to stop and after an officer saw him brandishing a handgun. Police later recovered the handgun in the grass next to Crowley, who was treated at Central Maine Medical Center for several gunshot wounds.

According to an affidavit filed by Lewiston police Detective David Levesque, Crowley told police he wanted them to shoot him dead, and during the incident stated, “I’m not afraid to die.”

Crowley, dressed in a jail jumpsuit and handcuffed, appeared with his attorney before Superior Court Justice MaryGay Kennedy, who advised him that by pleading guilty to the charges he would be surrendering his right to a jury trial and a right to appeal any sentence he is ordered to serve.

Police responded to a call shortly before 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 24, 2014, saying Crowley had been involved in a domestic disturbance and had assaulted a woman in a Knox Street apartment. Police were told Crowley was armed.


When police confronted Crowley in the park, they demanded to see his hands, then yelled that he had a gun. That’s when police fired, according to police and a witness who spoke with the Sun Journal.

Three officers fired. Crowley was struck at least four times after officers fired roughly a dozen shots at him, according to initial reports.

The officers involved in the shooting were Cpl. Michael Dumond, a 13-year veteran; Brian Bourgoin, a five-year veteran; and Zachary Provost, who had been with the force two years at the time of the shooting.

Crowley, who has been held at the Androscoggin County Jail since being released from the hospital, will be sentenced later by Kennedy.

She also warned him that the felony charges he was being convicted of as a result of his plea would make it illegal for him to possess a firearm or ammunition and that he would be unable to vote in certain states.

Each of the three Class C felony charges Crowley pleaded to can be punished by up to five years in prison with two years of probation and up to a $5,000 fine.

But an offer by state prosecutors in exchange for Crowley’s guilty plea would likely see much of that sentence suspended. Crowley would also receive credit for the time he has spent in jail awaiting trial.  

Comments are no longer available on this story