DALLAS PLANTATION — Firefighters on Saturday stopped flames from spreading from the main cabin at Camp Ouananiche to seven others, Rangeley fire Chief Tim Pellerin said Monday.

The cause was related to an electrical issue, he said. There were no injuries.

Pellerin estimated damage to the cabin at $100,000. It was built in 1909 and is owned by John McConville of Connecticut, who had it insured. The frame is intact but the interior is gutted, Pellerin said.

Camp Ouananiche is a former boys’ camp off Camp Waya Awi Road, Pellerin said. 

An owner in one of the cabins, which are about 5 feet from each other and connected by a porch, went outside, saw smoke and looked through a window to discover a couch on fire, Pellerin said. The owner grabbed a fire extinguisher and called 911 but when the door was opened the fire had already spread to a wall, Pellerin said.

About 30 firefighters from Rangeley, Carrabassett Valley, Eustis and Phillips fire departments responded to the 7:06 a.m. call, along with NorthStar EMS ambulance. When firefighters arrived, flames had spread to the ceiling and the exterior of the cabin, Pellerin said.

People in other cabins were able to get out safely, he said.

It was a great team effort, Pellerin said.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.