SUMNER — Two people were taken to a local hospital after their house on Bonney Road caught fire Monday night.

Sumner Assistant Fire Chief Andy Dickson said three people lived in the home at 57 Bonney Road with a pet rabbit. All of them escaped, but the daughter had to be dragged out because of smoke inhalation.

The fire, which was called in at 7:50 p.m., started as a grease fire in the kitchen and spread to the upstairs, said Wally Litchfield of the Sumner Fire Department. The kitchen and upstairs sustained heavy damage.

Litchfield said the flames were knocked down within 15 minutes of arrival and the fire was fully under control within an hour. 

Sumner, West Paris, South Paris, Turner, Buckfield and Canton fire departments responded. Tri-Town Ambulance and Buckfield Rescue assisted. 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.