CANTON — David Wainwright lost his house at 351 River Road in a fire late Wednesday night, firefighter Jason Vaughn said Thursday.

Wainwright was cooking and went to take a shower. When his dog barked and alerted him of the fire, he attempted to put it out with a hand-held fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful, Vaughn said.

Wainwright and his dog and cat got out without injuries, Vaughn said.

The fire was called in at about 11 p.m. and the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. Departments from Dixfield, Peru, Rumford and Mexico assisted Canton in knocking down the flames by 12:30 a.m. Thursday.

There was no estimate of the loss and the house was not insured, Vaughan said.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: