RANGELEY — An improperly installed chimney sparked a fire that gutted a living room and damaged the attic of a home at 129 Quimby Pond Road on Thursday, Fire/Rescue Chief Tim Pellerin said.

He said big flames in the living room in the area of the wood stove spread to the attic of the 1 ½-story structure.

Homeowner Samuel Walk of South Yarmouth, Massachusetts, was at the scene. The building is insured.

The chimney was installed against a wood frame and over the years the wood dried out and finally got hot enough to catch fire, Pellerin said.

He estimated damage at $40,000.

Seventeen firefighters from the Rangeley department responded to the 12:13 p.m. call and had the fire under control by 12:39 p.m., Pellerin said. Firefighters from Eustis and Phillips departments stood by at Rangeley’s station.

“Our crew did a great job,” Pellerin said. “It is absolutely wonderful to have a turnout of 17 people (at noontime),” Pellerin said. 

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: