AUBURN — Prosecutors won’t seek an injunction against a Sabattus woman who police said shouted a racial slur at a Lewiston woman and threatened her.

The Maine Attorney General’s Office had dismissed its motion shortly before a hearing that was scheduled for Monday at Androscoggin County Superior Court.

Sarah Huntington, 26, was indicted in November on charges stemming from an Aug. 12 incident. An Androscoggin County grand jury charged her with felony criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, plus misdemeanor assault and violating a condition of release.

All three charges were dismissed last month after Huntington agreed to plead guilty to two unrelated misdemeanor charges: reckless conduct, stemming from a December 2015 incident; and disorderly conduct, stemming from a July incident.

“It’s a good result for Sarah,” her attorney, Patrick Nickerson, said Tuesday.

Assistant Attorney General Leanne Robbin said Tuesday the victim in the August incident had been unwilling to testify in court. Investigators also had difficulty locating a second witness to the incident in order to subpoena that witness for the hearing.


The defense was expected to raise mental health issues in an effort to argue that Huntington’s conduct was not motivated by racial bias, Robbin said.

In the agreement with county prosecutors, Huntington entered guilty pleas, but would be allowed to withdraw her plea to reckless conduct after a year if she were to abide by the conditions of her agreement and not run afoul of the law. She would be sentenced on the disorderly conduct charge at that time.

Police had written in an affidavit that Huntington had yelled a racial slur at an African-American woman walking on Walnut Street. Police said Huntington had threatened the woman with a knife and later threw two cans of energy drinks in the woman’s direction.

Huntington had been allowed to go free on her own recognizance and ordered by a judge to live with her mother and have no contact with the African-American woman.

Police said Huntington had been free on two sets of bail conditions at the time.

Conditions of her release included treatment at St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center in Lewiston or another approved facility.

According to court documents, Huntington was admitted to St. Mary’s Behavioral Crisis Management Unit on Sept. 13 and was discharged a week later. She was later treated at a short-term residential care facility in Lewiston.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.