AUBURN — Two dogs were rescued from a fire at 691 Old Danville Road Saturday afternoon, which resulted in several thousand dollars of smoke damage and other necessary repairs.

No one was home at the time of the fire.

Auburn Fire Battalion Chief Scott Hunter said the 4 p.m. fire was contained and knocked out quickly.

The fire appears to have been started by a wood stove in the kitchen, which caught on the wall and spread upstairs, Hunter said.

A neighbor called in a report of smoke coming out of the windows. He was able to get the two family dogs out of the house safely. 

Hunter said there is around five to six thousand dollars of damage, mostly from smoke but the wall and structure need to be fixed. 

“If it hadn’t been too much longer, it would have been a very different outcome,” Hunter said. 

 Auburn Fire and Police departments responded to the scene with aid from the Lewiston Fire Department. 

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.