FALMOUTH — Early Saturday morning, fire officials rescued two pets from a house that caught fire in Falmouth.

Falmouth Fire-EMS responded to the fire at 12:01 a.m. after a call from a passerby. First responders arrived to find fire showing from the front corner of the single-family residence and called for additional support.

The house was at the top of a private driveway in a rural area of town, roughly 750 feet up a steep hill from Blackstrap Road. The first fire apparatus to arrive dropped a hose line at the bottom of the hill and laid a supply line all the way up to the house.

Subsequent units set up a water supply on site at the bottom of the hill on Blackstrap Road and shuttled water from a hydrant on Brook Road to the burning building.

Crews searched the residence for occupants and rescued a dog and a cat. Both animals survived.

The homeowners arrived later, after being called by a neighbor.

At 12:23 a.m., the fire was upgraded to a second alarm. Additional engines and personnel arrived at the scene.

Officials believe the fire started near a wood burning fireplace. The residence sustained heavy damage from the fire. A nearby garage, only 5 feet away from the building, was not damaged by the fire.

There were no injuries on the scene.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: