JAY — Four people showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning Friday night and were taken to a hospital, Fire Rescue Chief Mike Booker said Monday.

A furnace technician was called to work on a furnace malfunction at the residence and when he finished he noticed signs of CO poisoning in the people there and called 911, Booker said.

Firefighters responded at 9 p.m. and saw people experiencing nausea, vomiting and lethargy. Firefighters with medical training helped the family while other firefighters went inside.

There was a high reading of carbon monoxide, Booker said. Firefighters aired out the house.

Two firefighters drove NorthStar EMS ambulances to allow the medical personnel to work on patients in the back of two ambulances, he said.

The family had been experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning from about noon. They are fortunate the service technician was there to recognize the signs, he said.

Advertisement

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can cause sickness, coma or death when it builds up in enclosed spaces, according to the Maine Division of Environmental Health’s website, www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/environmental-health.

“Warning signs of poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion,” the website states. 

The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention division recommends that every home in Maine have a carbon monoxide detector — about half of Maine homes do not have a carbon monoxide detector, the website states.

[email protected]

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: