Edward Little’s Justin Theriault, right, tries to contain Lewiston’s Alex Rivet, during the first half of Thursday’s game in Lewiston.

LEWISTON — The Lewiston Blue Devils got scoring from seven different players Thursday en route to 16-7 victory over rival Edward Little in boys’ lacrosse action.

Lewiston exploded for nine second-half goals in the victory and improved to 2-0 on the young season.

Junior Gunner Wade led the way with four goals and a pair of assists, including three scores in the first quarter.

Edward Little opened the scoring just 51 seconds into the game when Ganan Mancini found the back of the net with an unassisted goal. Wade tied the score a minute later on an assist from Alex Rivet.

At the 9:18 mark, Lewiston keeper Bryan Wagg came out of the net to make a save and collided with an Edward Little attacker. The collision left Wagg unsteady and he eventually left the game, replaced by sophomore Hunter Steele.


“We always tell (Steele) anything can happen at any moment so be ready,” Lewiston coach Ben Fournier said. “We have some older guys back there to help him out, so I think they made him feel comfortable and he did a great job for us.”

After a Garrett Poussard goal, Wade scored again, benefiting from long passes down the field from Tanner Cortez. Fast break goals were the theme for Wade.

“Staying open out in front of the net after we’ve spread it out on the fast break was key for me as I got three goals from them,” the junior said.

He tallied his last goal of the quarter after an EL slashing penalty allowed Lewiston to set up a play offensively, where Jayden Wilson roamed behind the net before finding Wade in front. Lewiston held a 4-1 advantage after one quarter.

Trailing 6-1, Edward Little’s goalie Brandon Asselin made a pair of fantastic saves, the second starting a run for the Red Eddies that led to an unassisted score by Tyler Morin, cutting the lead to 6-2.

The teams traded goals to close out the half, giving the Blue Devils a 7-3 advantage.


Edward Little (1-1) came out determined in the second half and attempted to beat Lewiston at its own game by controlling the ball and setting up offensive plays. Mancini scored EL’s fourth goal 25 seconds into the half. Several changes of possession occurred thereafter, and, after intercepting a Lewiston defender’s pass, EL’s Alex Landry drove the net and fired one past Steele to cut the Lewiston lead to 7-5.

Then, Lewiston turned it up a notch.

Over the next 41 seconds, the Blue Devils controlled the faceoffs at midfield and drove down and scored three times against the EL defense. Rivet, Sam Payne, and Roman Dennis all scored in that stretch.

“Gunner’s really good at faceoffs. It’s a skill position, and he’s been working at it for years,” Edward Little coach James Dock said.

“Faceoff’s are key. If you can play ‘make it-take it’ lacrosse, you’re sitting pretty,” Fournier said.

With the score 10-5, Lewiston’s Steele came up big with another key save.


“The coaches prepare me well. Waggs is great mentor to me, helps me be ready for situations like this,” the sophomore keeper said.

Lewiston padded the score with three more goals giving the Devils a commanding 13-5 lead through three quarters. 

Wade capped off his scoring with his fourth of the game midway through the fourth quarter. Wilson and Dennis each added fourth-quarter goals to seal the victory for Lewiston.

Payne finished with three goals while Wilson, Rivet, Poussard, and Dennis each added two. Pat Racine scored the other Blue Devil goal. Rivet also assisted on four goals. Steele stopped 10 shots for Lewiston.

EL was paced by Mancini’s three goals. Morin added a pair of assists while Ben Feldman and Eli Thibodeau each had scores for the Red Eddies.

Edward Little’s Spencer Frahn, left, tries to slow down Lewiston’s Desmond Jackson as he carries the ball up the field during Thursday’s game.Lewiston’s Pat Racine winds up for a shot during the first half of Thursday’s game against Edward Little’Lewiston’s Ben Bolduc knocks the ball loose from Edward Little’s Noah Sterling during Thursday’s game in Lewiston.

Comments are no longer available on this story