Fire damage appears to have been contained to the upper floor at 48 Spring St. in Lewiston following Wednesday night’s blaze. 

LEWISTON — An improperly discarded cigarette started the late-night blaze on Spring Street that left six homeless and caused $100,000 damage, investigators said Thursday.

The fire started in a rear bedroom on the second floor, according to Lewiston Fire Investigator Paul Ouellette. Within minutes, the bedroom was engulfed, with flames and thick smoking pouring out a window.

The fire caused tenants to scramble out of the building, including a woman toting an 8-month-old baby and others hauling pets.

“There were no injuries,” Ouellette said. “Everyone made it out safely.”

On Thursday, the tenants were being assisted by the local chapter of the American Red Cross.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.