Mt. Blue’s Samantha Ellis (5) scores the first goal of the game late in the middle of the first half past Cony goaltender against Emily Douglas in a field hockey game at Caldwell Field in Farmington on a cloudy and muggy Tuesday.

FARMINGTON — Mt. Blue coach Jody Harmon said her Cougars appeared to be watching the game instead of passing and putting the ball in the net against Cony in the first half of a field hockey game.

No worries.

The Cougars figured it out and punched in three second-half goals against the tenacious Rams to collect a 4-0 victory at murky-and-muggy Caldwell Field on Tuesday.

“We were holding and carrying the ball too long instead of passing it and getting rid of it,” Mt. Blue coach Jody Harmon said. “It is two dribbles and pass the ball. Pass it up the field and pass it around them and just get it in the cage.

“’Oh, oh, the ball is near me and now I will decide to move instead of attacking.’ They realized they were doing that and they were all talking to each other about it so they decided to get moving and attack the ball.”


Before the Cougars became proactive in the second half, they faced an ornery Cony defense that frustrated Mt. Blue the entire first half.

“I think our defense played great,” Cony coach Holly Daigle said. “We had some good runs up the field toward our offensive circle, some good crosses, We just unfortunately we didn’t have people there to tip it in.

“I think we ran out of gas a little bit in that second half.

“They are great passing team. They have strong, accurate hits. They cut to ball well; they stop the ball well. We missed some balls that were coming right at us…they are a strong program. They have some strong players.”

The Cougars did find the time to score a goal in the opening half. Senior Samantha Ellis used an Ellie Pelletier assist and slipped the ball past Cony goalie Emily Douglas at 24:15.

But a series of missed opportunities coupled with Cony’s annoying defense allowed the Cougars to muster only a one-goal lead going into the half.


“Oh yes they did did (frustrate us). They always do,” Harmon added.

Mt. Blue seemed refreshed and confident during its second-half appearance. The Cougars turned to their reputable passing game, which resulted in three goals against a tired Cony team.

Junior Adelle Foss provided the Cougars with a comfortable three-goal lead, scoring back-to-back goals 10 minutes apart. Senior Hannah Minns and Madison Bard earned assists on Foss’s handy work.

Just for good measure, Ellis scored her second goal with 2:05 left in the game and Foss was credited with the assist.

Senior Mt. Blue goalie Erika McArthur also acted as a barrier to Cony’s pushy offense, making eight saves.

Mt. Blue coach Jody Harmon speaks with her players during a timeout in the first half.

A crowd converges in the front of the Cony net as Mt. Blue tries to score in the first half.

Cony’s Anna Reny (23) and Mt. Blue’s Molly Harmon race for the ball during a field hockey game in Farmington on Tuesday.

Mt. Blue’s Ellie Pelletier (10) goes after the ball against Cony’s MacKenzie Lewis (5) in a field hockey game at Caldwell Field in Farmington on Tuesday.

Comments are not available on this story.