UPDATES: Lewiston man got fatal fireworks shell out of state | Expert: Lewiston man should not have had professional fireworks

SABATTUS — A Lewiston man died Sunday after a fireworks shell exploded at his son’s house on Meadow Lane, according to the State Fire Marshall’s Office.

Timothy Whitney Sr., 57, lit a commercial type firework shell, which was set into a cement cinder, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said in a news release. 

The shell exploded while in the cement cinder block, sending pieces flying. Whitney, who was standing only 15 feet away, was struck by several pieces, according to McCausland. 

He was taken to Central Maine Medical Center after the 2 p.m. accident and died shortly after his arrival, McCausland said. 

Two homes about 140 feet away were also hit. Three family members were standing 80 to 90 feet away and were not injured. 

Whitney had obtained the fireworks sometime in the past year. The kind he had were only available to licensed firework specialists, which he was not, according to McCausland. 

Comments are not available on this story.