Scarborough goalie Grace Carriero makes a diving save on a shot by Sara Roberts of Lewiston High School during the first period in Lewiston on Saturday. (Daryn Slover/Sun Journal)

LEWISTON — The Blue Devils’ red-hot start continued Saturday night.

Lewiston/Monmouth/Oak Hill scored first (and second and third) for the fourth game in a row to open the season, topping Scarborough 6-1 in girls’ hockey action at Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

The Blue Devils (4-0) haven’t trailed this season. Gemma Landry made sure that didn’t change Saturday, scoring 1:11 into the first period to put the Blue Devils up 1-0.

“We were expecting a bigger competition (than we had faced), and scoring right away, it kind of put us in a positive position and it gave us some momentum for the rest of the game,” Landry said.

The Red Storm (2-3), looking to get back in the game and get back over .500 for the season, responded by pelting Blue Devils goalie Camree St. Hilaire with shots — including one that deflected off her mask — but the sophomore stood tall.


“That was our goal for the game, to get as many shots as we could because that’s what we need to do,” Scarborough coach Caitlin Jordan said.

“Cam did a good job — did a good job all the way around — but early on they got some chances, and that could have changed the whole (dynamic),” Blue Devils coach Ron Dumont said.

Grace Carriero did her best to keep it a one-goal game at the other end for the Red Storm, but Landry got the better of her again with 4:30 left in the first period. A shot through traffic from the right circle that was assisted by Sara Robert and Grace Dumond made it 2-0.

The goals kept coming for the Blue Devils in the second. Madison Conley scored 39 seconds in to make it 3-0.

Scarborough coach Caitlin Jordan called a timeout 6:35 into the period, and with her team about to get an offensive zone faceoff. The quick breather did nothing to stop the Blue Devils’ momentum. Brie Dube scored from Katie Lemieux 23 seconds after the timeout, then Robert scored on her own 12 seconds later to make it 5-0.

“I was a little surprised (they called timeout),” Dumont said. “But just told them, ‘Well, use this to your advantage.’ Because I was only running two lines at that point, and we could use the rest as much as them.”


“We called the timeout to try and settle things down, get them to kind of push the reset button,” Jordan said. “It obviously didn’t work out the way we had hoped.

Dube later scored again from Lemieux with the teams playing 4-on-4 to make it 6-0. The Red Storm ended the shutout with their own 4-on-4 goal. Taylor Veilleux cleaned up a deflected shot by Grace Murphy with 23 seconds left in the second.

The Red Storm tried their best to put another goal in, but St. Hilaire stopped all 10 shots she saw, including a breakaway attempt and a rebound by Courtney Brochu just over a minute in.

“We talked about just trying to come out and pretend like the game was started all over again,” Jordan said. “And so we wanted to try and win the third. We tied the third, so at least we didn’t lose the third. Baby steps. Small victories.”

St. Hilaire finished with 25 saves on 26 shots. Carriero made 14 saves for Scarborough.

Veda Leclerc, left, of Lewiston High School and Grace Murphy of Scarborough compete for the puck during the second period in Lewiston on Saturday.  (Daryn Slover/Sun Journal)

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.