AUBURN — A Lewiston man who repeatedly stabbed a police officer who was trying to arrest him last year was sentenced Wednesday to eight years in prison, after pleading guilty to related charges.

Jonathan Order, 29, of 113 College St. had threatened to kill Lewiston police officers who were sent to his apartment on Sept. 19, 2016, after a domestic violence complaint from Sabattus police. Order stabbed a corporal five times as officers tried to get into his apartment.

Order had been charged with attempted murder and a dozen other related charges. A judge on Wednesday dismissed eight of those charges, including the attempted murder charge. Order admitted to four felonies.

He was sentenced in Androscoggin County Superior Court to eight years in prison on a charge of aggravated assault, the result of a plea agreement. On two charges of assault on an officer, he received three years and one year to be served at the same time as the aggravated assault.

On a charge of aggravated assault on a woman he dated, he was given a suspended sentence of four years in prison. If he were to violate the terms of his probation, a judge may send him to prison for some or all of those four years. On a related charge of domestic violence criminal threatening, he was sentenced to six months to be served with the other sentences on law enforcement officers.

Justice MaryGay Kennedy ordered him to pay a total of just under $10,000 in restitution to his victims.


Conditions of Order’s release during his two years of probation include no alcohol or illegal drugs, firearms and dangerous weapons for which he can be searched at random. He must participate in a certified batterers’ intervention program and complete evaluation and counseling for substance abuse and mental health.

He’s forbidden to have contact with two named victims, one from a domestic violence charge and the other, a stranger.

He must take all prescribed medications.

He owes $545 in fines.

On a separate charge of assault, stemming from an incident a week before the stabbing, Order was sentenced to nine months; to a charge of violating conditions of release, six months. Both of those sentences will be served at the same time as his sentence on the stabbing charge.

More than a dozen Lewiston police officers were in the courtroom Wednesday to watch Order’s plea and sentencing.


Sgt. Michael Dumond, who was a corporal at the time of the stabbing, was in the courtroom Wednesday and stood when the judge addressed him. He declined to speak to the judge about Order’s sentencing.

Dumond was stabbed five times in his hand, chest and back. He was hospitalized with injuries not considered life-threatening and was returned to full duty.

He was stabbed during the early morning hours of Sept. 19, 2016, while he and other officers negotiated with Order, who was suspected of domestic violence abuse.

Lewiston police went to Order’s apartment shortly before 2:30 a.m. to arrest him on an aggravated domestic violence charge brought by Sabattus police, stemming from an incident that occurred in that town two hours earlier.

A woman said Order, her on-again, off-again boyfriend, had choked her and told her she was going to die while they were in a car across the street from Mixers Nightclub and Bar on Sabattus Road just after midnight. She said Order had become jealous when she had danced with other people at the nightclub. She jumped from the car, hitting her head on the pavement and said Order tried to hit her with the car. She ran into a nearby convenience store and called police while Order fled the scene.

Video from surveillance cameras at the store was consistent with the victim’s account, Assistant District Attorney Lisa Bogue told the judge.


According to prosecutors and court papers, officers could hear Order in his College Street apartment talking on the phone, likely to his father, who was attempting to calm him. Order refused to open the door. He told officers he wouldn’t surrender. He threatened: “I am going to kill every pig out there.”

He indicated he had a knife and a gun and told police he would kill them rather than go to jail, Bogue said Wednesday.

Lewiston police negotiated with him for more than 30 minutes. Order opened the door twice, but slammed it closed again each time.

Dumond managed to slip his flashlight into the door opening the second time, propping the door ajar.

Order responded by throwing the door open again and attacking Dumond and other officers while they struggled with him.

Dumond suffered five stab wounds — three in the chest, one in the back and one in the hand he used to fend off Order’s blows. Order managed to slip back into the apartment before the other officers could get past the injured officer. Dumond was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston. Another officer sustained lacerations to his hand.


Order surrendered unarmed minutes later and was taken to Androscoggin County Jail, where, police said, he was found with a plastic bag containing five 10-milligram pills of Diazepam. The drug is used to treat anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal symptoms or muscle spasms, and sometimes seizures.

Order was taken to an observation room to be strip-searched, where he struck an Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office sergeant and an officer. According to the police affidavit, he said he had already been in one fight tonight “and why stop now?”

He was eventually subdued and placed in a restraint chair.

Police searched Order’s apartment later that morning and found a folding knife with a three-inch blade and a blowtorch.

Kennedy wished Order good luck. “I hope you get the treatment and assistance that you need,” she said.

She referred to the incident as a “very violent, horrific thing.”


Next, Kennedy addressed the law enforcement officers seated at the back of the courtroom.

“This is the type of thing that is frightening when you go out everyday and something like this happens,” she said. “Your service is greatly appreciated. I’m very sorry you had to go through all of this.”

[email protected]

Jonathan Order appears with his attorney, Justin Leary, in Androscoggin County Superior Court in Auburn on Wednesday. Order, who stabbed a Lewiston Police officer on Sept. 19, 2016, pleaded guilty to related charges and was sentenced.  (Christopher Williams/Sun Journal)

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: