LEWISTON — Police swarmed the area of College Street near the intersection of Union Street in Lewiston just before 11 a.m. Saturday after receiving reports of shots fired.

According to police, one person, a 60-year-old male pedestrian, was being treated for a wound to the leg which he claimed was an injury related to the shooting. According to a news release, though, police said they were “doubtful” the injury was the result of reported gunfire.

A parked vehicle in the area, also not related to the incident, was struck by gunfire, according to the release.

The Lewiston Police Department, with assistance from the ATF’s Central Maine Violent Crime Task Force and FBI Safe Street Task Force, executed a search warrant Saturday evening in relation to the incident which led to the seizure of two firearms. They were working with the Androscoggin County District Attorney’s Office, and St. Pierre said charges will likely be forthcoming. There had been no arrests as of Saturday night.

Lt. David St. Pierre said the initial call came in at 10:49 a.m. Responding officers found the pedestrian wounded, but did not immediately find a suspect. The bulk of the police activity focused on 126 College St., where officials could be seen entering and exiting the building with frequency into the afternoon.

One neighbor near the scene said he heard “like, five shots.”


Police barricaded the section of College Street between Union and Holland streets while they conducted their investigation.

Lewiston police also said Saturday they did not believe this was a random act of violence and urged people to be “diligent of their surroundings and personal safety.”

Police would like anyone with information about Saturday’s incident to contact Detective Tyler Michaud at 207-513-3001, extension 3316, or Detective Brian Rose, extension 3309.

The gun-related incident is one of several that have kept police on high alert the past two days. Friday night, about 12 hours earlier, police were called to the same area of College Street and also to nearby Oak Street for reports of shots fired. They searched the area and found nothing.

Also Friday, police chased a suspect on Ash Street near Shawmut Street after a report of one man chasing another with a gun. During that pursuit, one of the subjects tossed a weapon under a porch as he fled. Police recovered the firearm.

Police also dealt with a daylong bomb scare near Rails Restaurant on Lincoln Street in Lewiston on Friday. That threat was deemed a deliberate hoax. Police are searching for whomever placed the fake explosives at that location.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.