AUGUSTA (AP) — Maine Gov. Paul LePage is relenting on his ban on road signs directing motorists to a national monument that he opposes.

A LePage spokeswoman says the Maine Department of Transportation will allow signs now that Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has recommended keeping the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument and a renewed request has been made by the National Park Service superintendent.

Spokeswoman Julie Rabinowitz tells Maine Public that the request seeks six signs on Interstate 95 and 11 additional signs on major state roads.

Last year, the LePage administration balked at the signs pending completion of a review by the Trump administration. Monument proponents said the lack of signs hurt the monument’s ability to draw visitors to the economically troubled Katahdin region.

In this Thursday, Aug. 10, 2017 photo, a sign marks the entrance to the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument near Patten. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke wants to retain the newly created Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument in northern Maine, but recommended adjustments to the White House .

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.