POLAND — A dog perished in a fire that heavily damaged a house on Cobb Road on Monday afternoon, Deputy Fire Chief Tom Printup said.

The cause of the blaze was food left unattended on a kitchen stove, he said.

No one was home at the time, he said.

A passer-by called 911 at 12:12 p.m. to report smoke coming from the eaves of the single-family house at 167 Cobb Road. The name of the owner was not immediately available.

One dog made it out of the house safely, but the other was found dead after the fire was out. The fire was under control by 12:33 p.m.

“There is significant damage to the living area of the house,” Printup said. The first floor has smoke, fire and water damage, and the basement has water damage. The house is unlivable, he said.

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

Assisting Poland Fire Department were firefighters from Mechanic Falls, Minot, Auburn, Oxford, Casco and New Gloucester.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: