Gerard Girardin’s home, which used to serve as a dentist’s office before his retirement, was the scene of a fire Tuesday evening in Livermore Falls.  (WGME photo)

LIVERMORE FALLS — A kitchen fire heavily damaged a retired dentist’s home on Park Street on Tuesday evening.

Gerard Girardin and his sister-in-law managed to get out of his one-story home safely, Fire Chief Edward Hastings said Wednesday evening.

The cause of the fire was stove burners accidentally left on, he said. Flames spread throughout the house resulting in extensive fire, smoke and water damage, and heavy water damage in the basement.

Firefighters from Livermore, Jay and Wilton assisted, keeping the fire contained to the first floor.

Girardin said the fire was another blow to him after his sick wife died recently.

Firefighters from Livermore, Jay and Wilton assisted.

The home was insured.

WGME contributed to this report.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.