MINOT — The Minot Center Historical Church on Center Minot Hill Road will hold services at 9 a.m. every Sunday in August.

Daniel Burgess of West Minot will serve as organist and pianist for three Sundays. Christie DesRochers Paul will be the soloist on Aug. 5. Florence Annear, the soloist on Aug. 12, will be accompanied by Marge Muise. Wayne Bridgham, a featured soloist at Minot Center Church services throughout the years, will sing on Aug. 19; and Richard Creighton will be the soloist Aug. 26.

The original church on the site, built in 1805, was torn down and rebuilt as the present church in 1846. Services have been held there continuously since that time, in recent years only for a month each summer and a service in late December.

Several of those who attend the services have family ties dating back for generations. This past summer, with only two surviving members, the church building and grounds were deeded to the Minot Historical Society and the name has been changed to reflect that.

Eda Tripp, a member of the church and Minot community leader, died in December. She had helped Charlie and Helen Clifford coordinate the services for more than 30 years. Helen is now the only surviving member of the church. This summer’s services will be held in her honor and in memory of Eda and Charlie.

Of historical significance is a large stone in front of the church in memory of William Ladd, founder of the American Peace Society and known internationally as “The Apostle of Peace.” Ladd lived for many years across the road from the Minot Center church and was an active member. The memorial stone was placed there on July 21, 1928, the 150th anniversary of his birth.

Comments are no longer available on this story

filed under: