A barefoot man who was wanted by police but eluded capture Saturday remained at large Sunday night, according to the York Police Department.

A dispatcher for the department said the suspect was still at large as of 9 p.m.

Corey Paradise

Corey W. Paradise, 45, who has a history of escaping from authorities, jumped out a window at a construction site in York after officers had used Tasers on him. He fled barefoot into a nearby wooded area in the midst of a thunderstorm.

“He was last seen wearing an orange shirt and black pants,” York police said in a statement posted on the department’s Facebook page. “Subject does not have shoes on.”

Sgt. Brian J. Curtin said police believe someone may have picked up Paradise in York and driven him to the Sanford area.

On Saturday, York police said that an officer on routine patrol recognized Paradise as he drove past his cruiser around 10 a.m. The officer ran a records check, but because of a delay in the state computer system, Paradise had time to leave the scene.

York police determined that Paradise was wanted on several arrest warrants from York and Cumberland counties. Those warrants included failure to submit to arrest or detention, reckless conduct, unlawful possession of drugs, operating a motor vehicle after habitual offender revocation, violation of conditions of release, and failure to provide correct name and address.

Paradise’s car was located at a construction site off Long Sands Road at the York Housing Authority complex. He was hiding inside a building that was under construction. He resisted arrest and when officers used Tasers on him, he jumped out a window and fled into a wooded area behind the Long Sands Plaza. The search was hampered by “very heavy rain” and a thunderstorm, police said.

“Yes, he did get tased; however, the jump out the window caused the electrodes to become disconnected,” Curtin said in an email.

This wasn’t the first time that Paradise has taken extraordinary measures to escape apprehension by police. In August 2014, he led Scarborough police on a long and bizarre car chase that at times involved incredibly slow speeds.

The chase, which started in Scarborough, escalated into a high-speed chase along the Maine Turnpike before Paradise got off the highway at Exit 53 in West Falmouth. He then led several officers, including state police, into the Woodfords neighborhood of Portland – at that point speeds had dropped to 18 mph – before he ditched his car and hid under a porch.

He was located and after a scuffle he was arrested.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: