Politicians aren’t getting much respect these days. Trying to find a remedy in protecting the nation’s borders from the enemy is crucial, but how about dealing with the corruption in Washington, D.C., as a top priority? I would say that 90 percent of politicians give the other 10 percent a bad reputation.

Lawmakers should not be above the law. There should be term limits on career politicians, especially those with heavy ties to big money and special interests. It seems to me that the most reliable friend in politics is ready money. Everybody wants a position but nobody wants a job.

In the past, numerous retired government employees were able to reap the benefits of double-dipping their pensions, at the expense of taxpayers. Elected politicians should also share Medicare benefits equal to their constituents. They should never forget who they are working for.

Perhaps people should be asking their elected officials, “What is in your wallet?”

Joe Voisine, North Monmouth

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: