Joshua R. Boyd is taken into custody for questioning on Horton Street in Lewiston. He was later arrested and charged with aggravated attempted murder for allegedly shooting at police Officer Jeremy Somma during a gunfire exchange with Lewiston police early Wednesday morning. Russ Dillingham/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

LEWISTON — Police arrested two men Wednesday afternoon following an early morning shootout in which one of the suspects was said to have fired shots at police.

Joshua R. Boyd Lewiston Police Department

The arrests came after a search that lasted about 10 hours and led to several downtown streets being blocked to traffic.

The standoff at 138 Horton St. ended at about 3 p.m. Wednesday after police had surrounded an apartment building there.

Police arrested Joshua R. Boyd, 27, of Boston, and charged him with aggravated attempted murder for allegedly shooting at police Officer Jeremy Somma, who had responded to a threatening complaint on Howe Street early Wednesday morning. Boyd was also charged with reckless conduct with a firearm, falsifying evidence, refusing to submit to arrest, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a felon.

Lee Davis Lewiston Police Department

Boyd has a criminal history of drug trafficking in the Lewiston area.

Also arrested, accused of aiding Boyd in his attempted flight from police, was Lee Davis, 55, of Lewiston. He was charged with hindering apprehension, possession of a firearm by a felon, falsifying evidence and violating conditions of release.


Davis has a criminal history in the area that includes convictions for burglary and theft.

Both men were taken to the Androscoggin County Jail in Auburn.

Police converged on the downtown hours after a man exchanged gunfire with Lewiston officers at 4:30 a.m. Wednesday at 30 Howe St.

What followed was a series of chaos, tension and drama that lasted most of the day.

Evidence markers show where shell casings landed in the parking lot next to the Blue Goose in Lewiston on Wednesday morning. Russ Dillingham/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

Officers went to Howe Street, responding to a report of a man with a gun threatening someone. When they arrived and approached the apartment, the man fled and fired at officers, according to a media statement released by Lt. David St. Pierre.

Law enforcement officials, block off the street, collect evidence and conduct interviews at the corner of Howe and Sabattus streets in Lewiston early Wednesday morning. Russ Dillingham/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

Police returned fire and pursued the man, during which additional shots were fired, St. Pierre wrote.


Maine State Police are assisting with the investigation and the Office of the Maine Attorney General has been notified of this event, St. Pierre wrote.

No injuries to any officers have been reported, St. Pierre wrote, and neither suspect was struck by gunfire.

An ambulance took a woman to the hospital after a police dog bit her during the Horton Street standoff. It is not known if she has any connection to the shooting suspect.

Police are urging anyone with information about the incident to call 207-784-6421 for dispatch or Detective Desiree Michaud at 207-513-3001, ext. 3308.

This story will be updated.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: