OXFORD — A Norway man charged with creating a police standoff on French Road this week remained at the Oxford County Jail in Paris on Friday night.

Brian Cabral, 42, of 27 Holt Road appeared in Oxford County Superior Court in Paris on Friday. He was charged with creating a police standoff, violating conditions of release, unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs, aggravated unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs and domestic violence terrorizing. 

For the newer charges of creating a police standoff, bail was set at $10,000 with conditions prohibiting him from possessing dangerous weapons. For older drug trafficking charges on which Cabral was previously wanted by police, bail was set at $25,000 with a condition that he submit to random searches should he be freed. 

Cabral was also ordered to have no contact with a woman who had taken out a protection order against him. 

Before he was arrested Wednesday night after a six-hour standoff at a home, Cabral was the subject of an ongoing drug investigation in Oxford Hills. Recently state police obtained a warrant charging aggravated trafficking in fentanyl. He was also on probation at the time, police said, for drug trafficking and had bail conditions. 

Police were alerted Wednesday morning after Cabral went to a business in Lewiston and contacted a protected party named in his bail conditions. Cabral fled the area before police arrived, according to state police spokeswoman Katharine England. A vehicle description was provided. 


Troopers began to check known locations frequented by Cabral, police said. About 2 p.m., Cabral’s vehicle was found at a residence on French Road off Route 121 in Welchville village. Oxford Police and Norway Police assisted state police with surveillance of the residence. Because of Cabral’s criminal history, police said, the seriousness of the new charges and the presence of firearms inside the residence, the state police Tactical Team was assembled and the state police Crisis Negotiator Team was sent to the scene. 

The homeowner came out of the house without incident, police said, and confirmed Cabral was inside. After several hours of communicating with police, Cabral came out peacefully and surrendered to troopers. 

The standoff on Wednesday was not Cabral’s first. 

In 2005, he was the target of a 90-minute standoff in Auburn that ended when police used a pepper ball gun to subdue him. 

In 2018, he was arrested by police in Haverhill, Massachusetts, on a charge of fentanyl trafficking. He was later sent for drug-addiction treatment. 

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: