DEAR SUN SPOTS: I have utilized your column a few times and have gotten excellent results. I thank you for all your help. My problem is I have quite a few old knives that I don’t know how to get rid of or where to go to find out what to do with them. I was hoping someone out there could assist me. Hopefully, someone will answer and I can get rid of these knives. They are old and fairly dull. Now I have a new set that are great. I hope to hear from someone soon. Keep up the good work. — Elizabeth, no town

ANSWER: I have a couple old knives in different sizes that I keep in my toolbox and junk drawer for various household chores so I’m not tempted to use my good kitchen knives “just this once.” Nothing dulls a knife faster than using it to cut up a cardboard box or plastic or Styrofoam packaging.

A knife will come in handy as you work in the garden, too. You can use it to cut lengths of string, open sacks of birdseed and potting soil, release seedlings from those six-packs they come in and loosen the soil to dig small holes.

If you really can’t think of what you would use your old knives for and want them out of your house for good, an option would be to donate them to your local thrift store unless they’re in really terrible condition. Just call first to be sure they’re accepted. Someone may come along and buy them for the uses I’ve listed above, or they may be happy to spend the time sharpening them and shining them up to use in their kitchen.

Check with your local recycling company to see what types of materials they accept. Your knives may very well “make the cut” and be accepted into the metal recycling pile.

If you don’t want to bother trying to recycle or donate your knives then it’s best to just throw them in the trash, but there’s a safe way to so that so no one gets hurt on them. Here are some tips:

Wrap the knives in layers of newspaper or bubble wrap and tape securely, ensuring the entire blade is properly covered while keeping the handle exposed.

Probably the safest option when it comes to covering the blade is it make a sleeve for it out of cardboard and tape it closed.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: My Hammond organ (1962-C-200) needs emergency surgery. I think it needs replacement of some tubes. Who can rescue me? Nick Orso of Portland is not an option because his phone is disconnected. Who else is there? I’m desperate. — Anne, Auburn

ANSWER: I sent Nick an email and will hope he gets back to us. It’s puzzling that his website and Facebook pages are still up so if anyone has any knowledge of his status, let us know. Meanwhile, try calling Starbird Music in Portland at 775-2733. If they can’t help you, my bet is that they know someone who can.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name. We won’t use it if you ask us not to. Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be emailed to [email protected].

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: