WINSLOW — A multi-unit home in Winslow caught fire Friday, spreading up the back wall of the house and resulting in minor injuries. 

Rebecca Adams lives on the second floor of the Bellevue Street home with two of her children, Samuel and Cadence. Adams and Samuel were home Friday when a firefighter banged on the door and told them to get out, she said. Soon after the firefighter arrived the fire alarms in the building began to go off.  

Adams said that when she came out of the house the back corner was completely engulfed in flames, and that the firefighters went into her apartment with the hose. 

A Winslow police officer on the scene was unable to provide additional information and the Winslow Fire Department could not be immediately reached for comment. 

Adams and her son escaped the home with their dog, Mazy, but were unable to retrieve the family’s cats. After the fire had been extinguished, Adams said she hoped the cats had moved to the front of the house and would be OK.  

Eric Hall, the owner of the property, said the neighbors behind the building had called 911. Hall and Adams said they suspected the cause of the fire was a cigarette butt that had not been put out properly.  

The two said that there was a small fire several years ago that started that way, although it was a different tenant at the time.  

A family who lives on the third floor was not home at the time of the fire, and a woman who lives on the first floor in the front unit was treated for smoke inhalation. No details are available for a man Adams says lives in the back unit.

Adams has lived in the property for five years, and was concerned about the damage to the home. 

“We’ve seen a lot of people come and go, and for this to happen twice is upsetting,” Adams said. 

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: