AUBURN — Some good news for a change?

The Maine Bicentennial Parade Committee revealed Thursday afternoon that the parade is on this year.

“And we are hoping that you are still interested in participating,” according to an email sent to parade volunteers about 4 p.m.

The parade is slated to be held in the Twin Cities on Saturday, Aug. 21, kicking off at 10 a.m.

The announcement so far is an unofficial one: according to the email, more news on the parade is expected next week.

Regardless, the revelation was a welcome one — the parade was canceled in 2020 due to COVID-19.

“I look forward to finally celebrating Maine’s 200th birthday,” Auburn Mayor Jason Levesque said, “and showing the state that Auburn and Lewiston can throw an epic celebration that will be a must-attend event this summer!”

Lewiston Mayor Mark Cayer was likewise enthused by the news.

“With the many events springing up,” he said, “this summer is looking to be a banner year. The parade alone will be one of the biggest events L-A has hosted in many years. We expect guests to our communities from the entire state and beyond. Our community should plan on a fun-filled summer.”

What remains in question is whether organizers of the Great Falls Balloon Festival will be spurred to reverse their earlier decision, announced in early April, to cancel the festival. It, too, had been scheduled to take place the weekend of Aug. 20-22.

The Balloon Festival was also canceled in 2020.

Related Headlines


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.