LEWISTON — A resident of a Cottage Street apartment building was rescued early Tuesday by firefighters who responded to what is believed to be a cooking-related fire.

Fire Chief Brian Stockdale said Tuesday in a statement that his units were dispatched to 40 Cottage St. at about 3:09 a.m. for a reported building fire.

When they arrived, firefighters found “heavy fire” coming from the side and rear of a 2nd-floor apartment, he said.

As firefighters were preparing to enter the building to battle the blaze, they were told there might be an occupant still in the second-floor apartment, Stockdale said.

During an initial search of the building, firefighters found one person, whom they removed from the building and transferred to waiting ambulance crews for transport to the hospital.

No additional details were available about the medical condition of the resident, Stockdale said.


Firefighters brought the blaze under control within an hour and cleared the scene within 4½ hours, Stockdale said.

Local firefighters were assisted at the scene by Auburn Fire Department.

The cause of the fire appeared to be from cooking materials and likely was accidental, Stockdale said.

The Office of State Fire Marshal was conducting a further investigation, he said.

Comments are not available on this story.