The Twin City Thunder offense scored in bunches Friday night.

The Thunder scored two goals in a 40-second span in the second period and four goals in a nearly seven-minute span in the third period for a 7-4 win over the Islanders Hockey Club in a USPHL National Collegiate Development Conference game at Norway Savings Bank Arena in Auburn.

“We were on our heels to start, and we got the goal in the first period — they came back (in the second period),” Thunder coach Dan Hodge said. “It was an up-and-down game, and in the third period we kind of buried our chances to get the win.”

The Thunder were led by Lewiston native Dom Chasse’s two goals in their NCDC home opener.

American International College commit Matus Hadusovsky had a goal and an assist, along with Sam Stitz and Tyler Healey also having a goal and an assist.

“We have a young group of players, and you are always happy to get different players scoring,” Hodge said. “(Ryan) Hintz scored again from the blue line, and Chasse had two, Healey. Just not the normal guys. Matus Hadusovsky got his first goal tonight, and other guys are chipping in. Hopefully it’s something we can build on going into Monday.”


The Thunder took a 1-0 lead late in the first period, with Nathan Chickering beating Islanders HC goalie Dunford DeLoss (18 saves). Healey recorded his third assist of the season.

Sam Nichols responded for Islanders HC in the opening minutes of the second period, beating Thunder goalie Nick Bernstein (24 saves).

Chasse, who’s committed to Utica College, scored on the power play to put the Thunder up 2-1. Defenseman Ben Monson and forward Artem Karakov picked up the assists.

Healey notched his first goal of the year to stretch the lead to 3-1.

“Healey had a great block on our third goal,” Hodge said. “He blocked a shot and went in on a breakaway; he finished and did a great job to give us that 3-1 lead. That (Healey-Chickering-Trace Norwell) line has been great; they are working hard.”

Jake Bernadet scored for Islanders HC to cut the deficit to 3-2 later in the second period.


In the final minute of the second period, Patrik Sommerville tied the game.

Elijah Brown continued the momentum for Islanders HC, scoring early in the third period to take a 4-3 lead.

Hintz’s power-play goal pulled the Thunder even at 4-4 with under eight minutes left in the third period. Monson and Hadusovsky had the helpers.

The Thunder were 2 for 6 on the power play, and Islanders HC was 2 for 5.

Chasse’s second goal put the Thunder up 5-4. Stitz had the lone assist.

“Dom Chasse really stepped up on his goal,” Hodge said. “His physicality created a turnover, and on the play he made a nice hit along (the sideboards) and he kept the puck in (the offensive zone) and created another turnover. Stitz was able to find (Chasse) going in alone in the slot.”

Hadusovsky gave the Thunder a two-goal cushion with under four minutes to play.

Stitz scored an empty-net goal for the Thunder’s seventh and final goal of the night.

On Monday, the Thunder return to action when they travel to Hudson, New Hampshire, to face the Northern Cyclones at 2:30 p.m.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.