LEWISTON — Lit sparklers and fireworks discarded in a garbage can ignited a fire that heavily damaged a first-floor apartment and basement at 25 Howe St. late Sunday night, Lewiston Fire Inspector Paul Ouellette said.

There were no injuries

The fire spread to the front porch of the three-story, six-unit building, causing $50,000 damage and displacing the first-floor tenants, who were assistant by the Red Cross.

Firefighters responded to the call about 11 p.m. and contained the blaze to the first floor and basement, Ouellette said. Auburn Fire Department assisted, he said.

Fireworks are prohibited in the inner city, except certain outer areas only during the 4th of July and New Year’s Eve.

Comments are not available on this story.