NEW GLOUCESTER — A chimney fire early Saturday afternoon drew firefighters to a home at 1235 Lewiston Road, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported in the fire that was called in about 2:30 p.m.

When they arrived, crews discovered smoke coming from the chimney, originating from the roof-line of the structure.

Though they suspected the flames had spread into the building, fire officials confirmed the blaze was contained in the chimney.

The home was spared smoke and fire damage, officials said, but fire officials appealed to the public to stay up-to-date with chimney cleanings.

“This is our second chimney fire we have responded to in the past 24 hours,” said New Gloucester Fire Captain Hale Fitzgerald. “NFPA recommends having your chimney inspected and cleaned by a professional at least once a year.”

Mutual aid was provided by Gray, Auburn and Poland fire departments.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.