WILTON — A 10-year-old boy trying to cook a mud pie for a friend Sunday behind the garage of the family home on Terrace Drive caused a minor structure fire.

The fire spread to the dry leaves under the garage and caught the garage floor on fire, Kyle Ellis, assistant chief at the Wilton Fire Rescue Department, said Monday.

The floor was scorched, he said. No one was injured.

The property is insured. The detached garage was about 100 feet from the house.

About 15 firefighters from Wilton and Farmington responded to a report of fire at 6:14 p.m. Other mutual aid partners were canceled prior to arrival.

A representative of the Maine Forest Service will do a follow-up with the family, Ellis said. “(The boy) learned a good lesson,” he said.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: