100 Years Ago: 1923

Calvin Coolidge arrived in Washington tonight to assume his duties as President. After an all day journey from Plymouth, Vermont, where he was sworn in as chief executive early today, Mr. Coolidge stepped from a special train at the Union Station at 9:10 p.m. He was accompanied by Mrs. Coolidge and several friends.

President and Mrs. Coolidge went immediately to the suite in the new Willard Hotel which has been their Washington home since March, 1921.

The President, after a conference tonight with Secretary Hughes and other advisers, authorized the announcement of detailed arrangements for the funeral services here of the late President Harding.

Tomorrow, the new Chief Executive planned a busy day. He intended to remain in Washington until the body of Mr. Harding arrived from San Francisco, Tuesday, and go to Marion, Ohio, for the burial. President Coolidge went directly to his suite in the New Willard hotel where he and Mrs. Coolidge will remain until Mrs. Harding at her convenience moves from the White House.

The new President planned to rise bright and early tomorrow morning and be at his desk by 9 o’clock. Mail, accumulating during his vacation in New England and conferences on Mr. Harding’s funeral arrangements will absorb his attention. He will also look after the preparation of a proclamation for a day of national mourning for Mr. Harding.


Those who came with the President consider it unlikely that he will announce any important steps in his administration until the country has recovered from the shock of the death of Mr. Harding.

The last leg of President Coolidge’s trip from New England to Washington was made in fast time. Less than four and one half hours after he had boarded the special train which awaited him at the Pennsylvania station in New York, he stood in the capital.

50 Years Ago: 1973

Rain or shine, the summer bazaar which will benefit the building fund of the Penley’s Corner Church will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 11. The event will feature various tables of baked goods, candies, a snack bar, rummage, odds and ends table and a stand with fresh vegetables. The committee in charge of arrangements will meet during the coming week to discuss the final arrangements for the fund raising project. The same committee is now working on renovating the interior of this historical landmark and they recently held their annual service at the church which is located two miles from Auburn on Route 136. A special feature of an auction will highlight the morning activities at the Bazaar.

25 Years Ago: 1998

(Sun Journal photo) Bentley Rathbun of the Ewe-Turn Farm on North River Road in Auburn prepares one of his prize ewes Thursday for the Monmouth Fair. Rathbun will spend more than 15 hours preparing each entry.

The material used in Looking Back is produced exactly as it originally appeared although misspellings and errors may be corrected.

Comments are no longer available on this story

filed under: