DEAR SUN SPOTS: We have cleaned out our closets and have men’s and women’s clothes to donate. We would like to donate to a charity that gives clothing for free (not for resale) to those in need. Could you please suggest a couple of organizations in the area? — No name, no town

ANSWER: One of them is The Clothes Closet at Court Street Baptist Church at 129 Court St. in Auburn. Call 207-784-6661 for their current hours.

Another option is Pleasant Street Drop-in Center at 169 Pleasant St. in Auburn. Operating hours are Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. The number is 207-241-1849.

Your town probably has a church or two with “clothes closets.” Churches, schools, food pantries and other organizations that assist community members often have clothes closets. Investigate what’s available in your neighborhood.

Readers, if you have clothes closets where folks can get free items, please write in so I can update the Rolodex.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: In your Rolodex, do you have the name of someone who knows how to repair a Hobart Kitchen Aid Mixer #K-45?


I would prefer someone in the Lewiston-Auburn area. It would be very expensive to mail to the company in Ohio, considering the weight of the machine. — No name, no town

ANSWER: Because you identified your mixer as a “Hobart”, it’s considered to be vintage. Hobart sold Kitchen Aid to the Whirlpool Corp. in 1986.

You can call a customer service representative Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. to discuss mixer repairs at 1-855-845-9684. They will advise you regarding the best way to proceed and should be able to tell you if there’s someone in Maine who is an authorized repair person.

They’ll also offer you a “shipping kit” that includes a box and packaging materials to safely transport your mixer to them. It includes shipping to and from the factory at a reduced price.

Readers, if you know anyone local who fixes these stand mixers and other small appliances, please let us know ASAP.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: I have an unused gift certificate for the Christmas Tree Shop. Now that they are closed, can you tell me how to be reimbursed? — No name, Greene


ANSWER: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this past summer, an announcement was issued that the gift cards could not be used after July 21. It stated, “Consumers should act quickly and get their money’s worth now, especially since you should not necessarily expect to receive a refund or any other compensation from the store.”

My advice to everyone, especially these days: when you get a gift card, use it as soon as possible!

DEAR SUN SPOTS: This is a special thank you to the person who paid for my husband’s and my lunch at 99 Restaurant. We were so surprised when the waiter told us.

Please know that we will pay it forward. Again, thank you. It was very generous of you. I have always said there is good in the world and you have proved me right. — No name, town

ANSWER: As always, these acts of kindness warm my heart.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name. We won’t use it if you ask us not to. Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be emailed to

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: