PARIS — A Waterville man and his alleged stabbing victim from Buckfield knew each other from prison, authorities said.

Abdul-Rashad Bilal Oxford County Sheriff’s Office photo

Abdul-Rashid Bilal, 27, and Michael Darnell Johnson-Wynter, 37, had met at Maine State Prison in Warren where “they both did several years for crimes,” Oxford County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Timothy E. Ontengco wrote in an affidavit.

The motive for the Monday night stabbing at Johnson-Wynter’s home on Sodom Road remains unclear.

Johnson-Wynter’s girlfriend, Danielle Schmidt, who lived at the Sodom Road home in Buckfield, told Ontengco that “there was a love interest from Abdul to her and that her boyfriend, Michael, was OK with it,” Ontengco wrote in his affidavit.

Bilal had appeared at the Buckfield home because Schmidt had planned to drive him to Harlem, New York, so he could visit his child, she told Ontengco in an interview.

Schmidt said they had to postpone the trip until the brakes in the car to be used for the trip had been repaired.


Bilal was going to spend the night at the home, she said. She and Johnson-Wynter went to separate bedrooms and Bilal had lain on the couch in the living room, she told Ontengco.

At some point, Bilal went to the kitchen area and “possibly disconnected the internet” service, she said.

Also, “at some point,” Johnson-Wynter went to the kitchen and “he and Abdul get into a fight that results in Michael being stabbed with some kind of a kitchen knife,” Ontengco wrote in his affidavit from his interview with Schmidt.

She broke up the fight, then realized Johnson-Wynter was bleeding from multiple stab wounds, Ontengco wrote. Johnson-Wynter “yelled, ‘He stabbed me!'” Schmidt said.

He had sustained head and chest wounds, including one that introduced air into his chest cavity that would require a medical procedure to fix, Ontengco wrote.

Johnson-Wynter’s injuries were not considered life-threatening, authorities said.


Schmidt had called 911 and was outside, armed with an axe, when authorities arrived at the home.

Bilal had fled the home and, according to several witness statements, had knocked on doors and windows of homes in the area, seeking “help.”

He was found about a half-mile from home about a half-hour later, authorities said.

Bilal was arrested Monday night and taken to Oxford County Jail.

He had an initial court appearance Wednesday on a charge of elevated aggravated assault, a crime punishable by up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.

A judge set his bail at $10,000 cash, with conditions that included no possession of dangerous weapons and no contact with Johnson-Wynter and Schmidt.

Comments are not available on this story.