1 min read

A water main break Wednesday night that led to the Rangeley Water District issuing an emergency reduced water appeal was repaired, but customers were asked to continue being judicious with their usage.

A notice on the Fire Rescue Facebook page early Thursday morning asked residents and businesses to conserve water by limiting nonessential use such as laundry, dishwashing and outdoor water activities.

“Rangeley Fire Rescue would like to inform the public that the Rangeley Water District has experienced a catastrophic water main break. Due to this issue, the Water District has issued a Reduced Water Usage Warning until further notice,” the Facebook post said.

The post continued, “This will help maintain enough water pressure for essential needs and emergency fire protection while repairs are underway.”

By 3 p.m., the break on Stratton Road near the MaineDOT facility had been fixed. Water district crews had been working since 10:30 p.m. to make the repairs, the notice said.

“Although the break has been fixed, the reservoir remains low and will take a day or two to return to normal levels,” a separate fire rescue Facebook post said Thursday evening. “During this time, please continue to be conservative with water usage.”

“While the reservoir refills, you may notice discolored water. This is normal and safe for human consumption,” the notice read.

Local contractors assisted the water district with repair work, Town Manager Joe Roach wrote in an email Thursday morning. 

Dee Menear is an award-winning journalist and photographer with over a decade of experience in community news. She is the editor and staff writer for The Rangeley Highlander. She has worked for the Franklin...

Join the Conversation

Please sign into your Sun Journal account to participate in conversations below. If you do not have an account, you can register or subscribe. Questions? Please see our FAQs.