3 min read

GLADEVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Kevin Grubb has his second chance with NASCAR, and the driver who lost more than two years of his career after failing a drug test doesn’t plan on blowing this opportunity.

“It’s definitely another start and definitely a second chance in NASCAR,” Grubb said Friday after arriving for his start in the Federated Auto Parts 300, his first Busch Series race since the end of the 2003 season.

“They gave me an opportunity to do something to get my license back,” he said. “I thank them for that and also the team out here and my crew chief, Tony Lambert, that’s giving me a second chance to drive a car. It’s a second chance and a new beginning.”

Grubb had shown talent in four Busch seasons, finishing the top 20 in points three times with his highest 13th in 2000. He had had 16 top 10s in 89 races.

He signed a 10-race deal with Team Rensi Motorsports but hadn’t run the first two races of 2004 when NASCAR suspended him in March for violating its substance abuse policy. No time limit was set on the punishment, which also included counseling and random testing.

Grubb didn’t race a car again the rest of that year or in 2005. He returned to working on his father’s crane business in Virginia, and he said Friday that the timing of the suspension was tough.

“But you know, it was probably something that needed to happen. I needed to get my life together and get my priorities in line. That’s really what I’ve done. I’ve changed a lot, and it’d be nice to come back racing and concentrate more on racing,” Grubb said.

Grubb, who turned 28 in April, declined to talk about what substance he tested positive for or how much of a problem he had.

“The biggest thing was I got myself straight, and things followed after, so I’m going to keep on the right road and see what’s laid in front of me,” he said.

Grubb had been in contact with NASCAR for months on what he needed to do for reinstatement. Lambert and car owner John McNelly called him and asked if he would be interested in driving for them if he got his license back. Lambert had been Grubb’s crew chief on some of his top 5 finishes.

He tested at South Boston and drove the No. 56 Chevrolet at a short track. It wasn’t enough to get a feel for setting up the car for Nashville’s 1.33-mile concrete oval, but Grubb found his rhythm came back quickly heading into Saturday’s race.

Then he finished the steps NASCAR asked him to complete. Still, the phone call informing him he was reinstated Wednesday was a big moment.

“I’m nervous and excited, more excited than anything. I know I can do it. I don’t think you ever forget how to drive,” Grubb said.

Nashville is the first of a five-race deal between McNelly and Grubb.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there racing,” Grubb said.

AP-ES-06-09-06 1934EDT

Comments are no longer available on this story