DIXFIELD – SAD 21 Consolidated School Board directors gave Superintendent Thomas Ward approval to pursue land options for a new school Monday night.
Ward said Tuesday that he is to meet with the three owners of property selected as the board’s first choice for a 300-pupil elementary school.
He declined to identify the property or the owners, saying that the matter is still under negotiation.
If negotiations fall through on the board’s first choice, Ward said he would “move on” to the second choice.
He said he expects to make the site public at the board meeting at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 6, in the student community center at Dirigo High School in Dixfield.
“The meeting will be an opportunity for the community to give feedback on where the school site is, and its potential configuration, and the potential reconfiguration of grades in the district,” Ward said.
“We’d like to have as many people there as possible, because a straw poll is to be taken so the state can get a feel about how the community feels about the site selection,” he added.
The Consolidated School Board is composed of directors from each of the new district’s towns – Canton, Carthage, Dixfield and Peru. The town of Peru merged with the district last year.
Comments are no longer available on this story