Footage from a Lewiston-made documentary promoting peace has been subpoenaed to aid in the defense of white supremacist Matthew Hale.
The makers of the feature film, “The Letter,” have surrendered raw footage of Hale’s former deputy, Jon Fox, as he preached racism to a small group of backers in Lewiston. The movie chronicles rallies here on Jan. 11, 2003, by Hale’s World Church of the Creator and by peace activists.
Hale, 32, is on trial in Chicago for soliciting the murder of a federal judge. Among the prosecution’s witnesses is his former deputy, Fox.
The Sun Journal was unable Friday to reach Hale’s attorney, Thomas Anthony Durkin. However, the movie’s makers said that Fox’s Lewiston speech is expected to contradict testimony he had already given.
On Tuesday, Fox testified in a Chicago federal court against his former leader.
“It’s a very strange place to be,” said Ziad Hamzeh, who directed and produced the documentary. “Can you believe this?”
Hamzeh, who interviewed Fox for the movie, passionately condemned the white supremacists Friday, saying he initially wanted to refuse the subpoena. However, after talking with attorney Durkin, he changed his mind.
According to The Associated Press, much of the prosecution’s case is built upon testimony of an FBI informant, who secretly recorded conversations with Hale. Defense attorneys say the informant is the only one on the tapes who urges violence.
The defense argument, alleging federal impropriety, is what convinced Hamzeh to release the videotape.
“Those are tactics that are not decent,” Hamzeh said. “The government’s role is not to provoke.”
Hale is charged in the five-count indictment with two counts of solicitation to commit murder and three counts of obstruction of justice.
The movie has been at a variety of North American film festivals. Its makers, Hamzeh Mystique Films, is looking for a distributor.
[email protected]
Comments are no longer available on this story