3 min read

DIX HILLS, N.Y. (AP) – A Long Island mansion that has been the subject of a bitter feud between 50 Cent and his ex-girlfriend was obliterated Friday by a fast-moving fire that authorities suspect may have been intentionally set.

Six people in the home suffered minor injuries, including 50 Cent’s ex-girlfriend and their 10-year-old son. The rapper said he was in Louisiana making a movie at the time of the blaze and expressed “deep concern over this fire at his property.”

“He is confident that authorities will be conducting a thorough investigation of the incident and is eager to review their findings,” a representative for 50 Cent said in a statement.

The home was essentially burned to the ground, with charred embers and wreckage littering the lot where the luxurious home once stood in the tree-lined neighborhood in Dix Hills.

Burned pages from what appeared to be a Bible and other charred embers were strewn on the street outside the home.

Investigators from the Suffolk County arson squad were called to the scene after Dix Hills Fire Chief Larry Feld deemed the blaze suspicious. The arson squad had finished its work at the scene six hours after the blaze.

He referred the case to the arson squad “because of the intensity of the fire, and also being that who belongs to the house,” Feld said. Police did not immediately comment on the results of the arson investigation.

The blaze followed a heated dispute between the rapper and his former girlfriend.

Shaniqua Tompkins, who started dating in 1995 back when 50 Cent was a drug-dealing street hustler from Queens named Curtis Jackson.

They had a child together, and Tompkins said that he promised her that he would always take care of her. She said he bought the $2.4 million home last year because he wanted her and their son to live in a safe and secure place.

But the dispute turned ugly recently, and 50 Cent tried to evict Tompkins from the home. A judge ruled last Monday that she could stay for the time being.

The dispute over the house had become “extremely, extremely contentious” in recent days, Tompkins’ lawyer, Paul Catsandonis, told The Associated Press. Although he declined to be specific, he said there was an “extremely dangerous incident” on Monday in his Manhattan office while taking a deposition for the lawsuit.

Speaking to reporters outside the home Friday afternoon, Tompkins blamed 50 Cent for starting the fire and said someone threw something through a window that presumably ignited the blaze.

“I know Curtis Jackson did this,” she told reporters after returning to the scene in a red van that was accompanied by a gold Mercedes-Benz. “He hasn’t even called his son to see how he is. He’s a punk. He’s starting to believe what the media thinks he is.”

A spokeswoman for the rapper did not immediately comment on the woman’s accusations. Jackson’s attorney in the house dispute also did not return a call for comment.

Police said that the other victims included another of Tompkins’ children, and three other adults who were not immediately identified.

An off-duty police officer named Douglas Bose helped rescue the six people off the roof. He said the victims were badly frightened and that one of the children was carrying a pet guinea pig.

“It was inferno,” said Robert Lotz, a next-door neighbor. “It wasn’t like a house on fire where you see smoke billowing coming out of windows. This thing was just one big blast. It looked like the thing was soaked in gasoline. Whoosh!”

Catsandonis said the 32-year-old rapper paid about $2.4 million for the house last year, one of many large mansions in the Long Island neighborhood of Dix Hills.

He also contended that the rapper signed an agreement that would give Tompkins half of all the rapper’s earnings as a hip-hop superstar. “Everything that’s his is hers, everything that’s hers is his. He memorialized in an e-mail that he intended to give her the house,” Catsandonis said.

He said the court case between 50 Cent and Tompkins was due back in court on June 10.

50 Cent is one of the biggest names in rap. He debuted in 2003 with “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” which sold a stunning 7 million copies. Two years later, his “Massacre” sold 1.1 million the first week alone.

He has been nominated for 13 Grammys, including nods for the song “In da Club” and the album “Get Rich or Die Tryin’.” In 2005, he starred in a semi-autobiographical movie with that same name.

AP-ES-05-30-08 1537EDT

Comments are no longer available on this story