NORWAY – Fire Chief Mike Mann said a faulty switch on a power saw caused a fire in an addition to Stephens Memorial Hospital that is under construction.

“It looks like an electric saw shorted out and just burned up some boards that were scattered around up there,” Mann said. “It melted a little rubber on the roof and got into some of the insulation.”

Firefighters arrived around 9:45 p.m. and had the fire out within 20 minutes, according to Mann.

The saw was on the roof and left plugged in, which Mann said is normal.

The damage, he said, was minimal.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.