Dear Sun Spots: Could you tell me if there is any place around that takes 20 pound propane tanks. This one is all good but it has the old fitting. I would hate to pay to have it dumped. If anyone could give me any help, I’d appreciate it.

I also have another request. Does anyone in the Lewiston – Auburn area to the West Paris area have a 6-quart kettle with a bail handle, like they used to have years ago? Either aluminum or enamel. I need one for a handicapped person who can’t handle the handle ones any more. I have checked quite a few antique places and will still keep checking. I used to be able to buy them for cooking over a camp fire also. Please write or e-mail me at [email protected]; 12 French Road, Oxford, ME 04270. – Beverly Brown, Oxford.

In addition to responses from readers, you may want to contact your local transfer station, (207) 539-4376. Sun Spots spoke with Carol Fuller, an environmental planner with AVCOG who says not all transfer stations accept empty tanks. Fuller also recommends you trade in your old one for a new one. She says many stores that sell propane will accept the old one for a replacement.

Dear Sun Spots: I was wondering where to look to find out the address or some way to contact a service man. His name is Lt. Layne McDowell and he wrote an open letter that is on a Web site of a radio station that is located in Lubbock, Texas. A special education class would like to send him a picture showing their support. – Laurie Gagne, Lewiston.

Answer: Unfortunately Sun Spots has been unable to locate an address for Lt. McDowell and perhaps other readers may be able to assist you.

Dear Sun Spots; You have no idea how helpful your column is. It’s the first part of the paper that some people turn to whenever something comes up that’s a bit out of the realm. Thank you so much for this column.

Does anyone know where one can purchase Thayer’s Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges? This is a real old natural remedy and it’s been around many years. They now have capsules but I do not find the throat lozenges. This is such a good product and soothing to the throat. Thanks for any help you can give me. – Odeila Murphy, Norway.

Answer: Try contacting They have several flavors advertised online including Two Trees Lozenges with Elm Bark and Maple Sugar, Tangerine Lozenges with Rosehips and Wild Cherry Lozenges and Original Lozenges. When you click on the order button you’ll be brought to The Central Zone which has a toll free number, 1-407-321-4882 or 1-866-338-7768.

Dear Sun Spots: I enjoy your column very much. I would like to have Dr. Phil’s address. I do not own a computer, but would like to write to him with a problem. – No Name, No Town.

Answer: Contact the “Dr. Phil Show” at P.O. Box 1902, 5482 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036. To those who have computer access, you can also contact him online at Sun Spots would recommend you contact your local library. Many have Internet and computer access that you as a resident can use.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be posted at in the Inform Us section under Press Release.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.