Dear Sun Spots: I hope that you can help me and therefore, other people. My husband and I recently purchased a house. It was a newly built house. It is two months since we closed on it and have been served with papers regarding bills that the contractor did not pay. We have other complaints besides this one. Please print a list of all the persons and/or agencies that we would be able to file a complaint with. It is too late for us but we hope that if this person’s actions are on record it will save some other family the problem. Thank you. – No Name, No Town.

Sun Spots checked in with the Maine Attorney General’s Office, which recommends you check out their Web site as well as check in with an attorney for legal advice on this. It’s possible it is not too late for you and your husband. According to that Web site, if you are dissatisfied with the construction or repair of your home or property, your contract may have been breached and you may have legal remedies against the person or business who agreed to perform the repairs. You may also want to check out Chapter 17.8 on that Web site, which discusses describing the work to be done, contract price and other guidelines. You may also want to check out the following one, Chapter 17.9, which discusses liens on your home to secure payment of the bills, should your contractor decide to take such a step. In addition, you should contact the Attorney General’s office at 6 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333; at (207) 626-8800; or online at

Dear Sun Spots: I am looking for information for an ATV club near the Lewiston area, as well as trails to ride on that are approved for ATVs in Lewiston or surrounding towns. Thank you. – Roland Brousseau, Lewiston.

Dear Sun Spots: Does anyone know of an artist who does silhouettes? Kaye Ouzel of Rangeley did some at the Poland Community Church fair many years ago and I’d like to get some done now. Thanks. – Silver Moore-Leamon, Auburn.

To No Name, No Town (Sun Spots request Thursday): Dean Hinkley of Wales says he does odd jobs including minor home repairs, lawn mowing, snow plowing, tree trimming and more. You can reach him at 207-375-6163.

Dear Sun Spots: What would it take to get Michaels Crafts back in the Twin Cities? Would it help to write to the corporate offices? If so, could you please provide an address? – No Name, No Town.

Contact Michaels corporate offices at 8000 Bent Branch Drive, Irving, TX 75063; at (800) 642-4235 or you can reach them online at

Dear Sun Spots: Can you tell me if there are any auto dealers in the Lewiston-Auburn area who finance new or used cars themselves? – George G., Rumford.

Sun Spots called several car dealers who say they do financing through a bank. Perhaps there are some readers out there who know of some dealers who do this and would be willing to share this information with you.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be posted at in the Inform Us section under Press Release.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.