2 min read

New Beginnings program is for youth who are homeless.

LEWISTON – The New Beginnings Outreach Program, located at 245 Lisbon St., will hold an open house from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 18. The program provides services for youth between the ages of 14 and 21 who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Last year the program saw more than 450 youth. Quarters have been expanded and renovated, including room for an educational program, which was recently established between New Beginnings, Jobs for Maine Graduates and the Lewiston School Department.

The public is invited to attend and tour the facility, meet the staff and youth who operate the program and learn more about the nationally funded and recognized program. Refreshments will be provided.

Rachel Horton, coordinator for Aspiring for Careers and Education, will be on hand to explain what the program has to offer. John Roberge, newly named director of the Outreach Program, will also be available.

Roberge comes to Lewiston from Berlin, N.H., where he was director of Youth Alternative Services. He is also president and founder of St. Francis Xavier Home for Boys/Children of Hope Mission, Port Au Prince, Haiti.

“About 450 youth visit the drop-in center at the Outreach Program every year,” said Robert Rowe, executive director of New Beginnings. “We are very excited about the renovations and the educational collaborative. The Outreach Program is complimentary to our existing Shelter and Transitional Living Programs for homeless youth. We’re going to reach a lot of youth with this increase in effort,” Rowe said.

Comments are no longer available on this story