GREENFIELD, Maine (AP) – An 80-year-old man died of smoke inhalation Sunday from a fire in his kitchen, officials said.

Arthur Gilbert was discovered in his home where he lived alone on Mallard Way late Sunday afternoon, said Sgt. Stu Jacobs, a fire investigation supervisor with the fire marshal’s office.

The investigation revealed that papers blocking the vent of a microwave caught fire in the kitchen, and Gilbert was unable to escape, Jacobs said.

The fire was contained to the kitchen and appeared to burn itself out, Jacobs said.

AP-ES-05-02-04 2047EDT


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.