2 min read

WINDHAM, N.H. (AP) – There were no criminal charges Tuesday in the case a 6-month-old baby boy found with numerous broken bones, but authorities said they were focusing their investigation on the child’s parents after receiving several tips from the public.

The baby and his 3-year-old sister are under state supervision. The girl showed no signs of being abused.

The boy was hospitalized on Aug. 2 after he stopped breathing. During a hospital examination he was found to have more than 24 broken bones in various stages of healing.

“I think this is probably the most outrageous case that my office has handled since I’ve been here in eight years,” Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams told WMUR-TV on Monday. He said Tuesday the boy’s injuries were those “typically associated with a beating – in this case it’s multiple beatings.”

Meanwhile, the parents, Gurrie and Tammy Fandozzi, have refused to cooperate with investigators, referring police to lawyers. The Fandozzis were not reachable Tuesday: a residential phone number had been changed to an unlisted number. A man at the Fandozzi house who identified himself as the children’s grandfather declined to speak to an Eagle-Tribune reporter.

Reams and Windham Police Chief Gerald Lewis said Tuesday they had not been provided with lawyers’ names or contact information and had not spoken to anyone representing the Fandozzis.

“I don’t know who their lawyers are, I haven’t heard from any lawyers,” Reams said.

Neighbors said the family kept to themselves and that Gurrie Fandozzi told them he had practiced law in Connecticut before becoming a stay-at-home father when the family moved to New Hampshire. Neighbors said Tammy Fandozzi left home early in the morning for work in Boston. Early reports identified both as lawyers, however Tammy Fandozzi’s name is not listed the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers’ database of attorneys.

Lewis said police are waiting for more medical information on the boy, and were seeking any information on who was involved in his daily care.

“It’s very frustrating,” he said. “And one would think that any parent would be forthcoming about injuries that their child may have sustained.”

Reams said Tuesday he was pleased by information from the public about how the child was cared for, but said authorities lacked evidence linking the abuse to the parents.

“We’re still piecing things together so that’s why we’ve asked the public for help,” he said.

Comments are no longer available on this story