MASHANTUCKET, Conn. (AP) – Fire officials determined Wednesday that an electrical malfunction caused a roof fire at the Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods Resort Casino, a spokesman said.

Foxwoods spokesman Saverio Mancini said an electrical heating device that keeps pipes from freezing malfunctioned, sparking the fire.

The fire, the second such blaze at a U.S. hotel-casino in less than a week, forced the evacuation of hundreds of guests. There were no injuries.

Foxwoods is owned and operated by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe.

Guests who were put up in other hotels were allowed Wednesday to return to their rooms at Great Cedar Hotel to retrieve personal items, Mancini said.

A total of 22 rooms in the 312-room hotel were affected by water damage. The top two floors of the eight-story building remained closed on Wednesday, said tribal spokesman Bruce MacDonald. The rest of the hotel and its ground-floor casino were re-opened.

MacDonald said 17 fire departments from region helped the 35-member tribal fire department fight the blaze.

“First, we’re very thankful that no one was injured and very appreciative of the effort made by the fire departments in southeastern Connecticut.”

The fire followed a Friday blaze at the 32-story Monte Carlo casino-hotel on the Las Vegas Strip, in which foam building material lining the roof caught fire. The Monte Carlo was closed until repairs could be made.

AP-ES-01-30-08 1911EST

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.